If you’re in search of a professional carpet cleaning company (or any other type of flooring in your home) you NEED to be on the lookout for SCAMMERS. THE HARSH TRUTH IS:
Scammers are more common than most of us would hope. Although the majority of businesses are honest, you can usually find deceitful people in any industry. We all wish it wasn’t true, but there are some people out there that are just looking to fool honest consumers out of their money with carpet cleaning scams.
How to Avoid the Bait and Switch
Wow – that super low discount just can’t be beat! It’s almost like it’s too good to be true…Bait and switch is a common illegal practice and one of the most often used carpet cleaning scams. It begins with a company advertising prices that are so much lower than any competitors’ that it will always seem like too good of a deal to pass up. But if you take a step back and give it a second glance, you’ll notice that there MUST be a reason why the price is so low. This is the bait, and it looks mighty appetizing.
The truth about low prices is that the company is either cutting corners somewhere (bad equipment or unskilled employees) or they were looking to fool you with the switch. The second half of this scam happens once you’ve agreed with a price and the cleaner shows up for your appointment.
There are actually a number of common excuses that scammers tend to use, but ultimately they are going to make a point to say that you need more done than what was previously agreed to.
These excuses will go something like:
- Adding service charges, soap charges, equipment charges, etc.
- Adding travel charges.
- Your rooms are odd shapes or too big, so it costs more.
- Second floor cleaning will be extra.
- Any other previously un-discussed charges that show up out of nowhere.
The problems with these carpet cleaning scams really start to occur when you refuse to pay the additional add-ons. Opting to only pay the ‘introductory’ price will force these scammers to resort to their ‘Basic’ service that will essentially be the equivalent of ONLY SPRAYING WATER on your carpets. In the end you’ll be paying for a service that leaves your carpets no cleaner than when the swindlers arrived.
If you find yourself in this situation, refuse the service. You can’t win when you’re dealing with dishonest companies that bait and switch their customers using these carpet cleaning scams. Also keep in mind that you can protect yourself beforehand by doing some digging to find certified companies with good reviews on multiple review platforms.
The scamming carpet cleaners show up at your house and really seem to be in a hurry. They fire up their machine, give your carpet a quick once over and then come to you for payment. Of course you can pick out a few trouble areas that look like they need a little more work, but the cleaners tell you “you just paid for basic cleaning”.
Some Good Questions to Ask Before Booking an Appointment
- Are you certified?
- If not, what type of formal training do you have?
- Has your business been around for a long time?
- Where can I find reviews for your company?
- Is your company drug, alcohol and criminal free? (Companies that don’t screen their employees can put you and your loved ones at risk. To be on the safe side, DO NOT deal with companies or cleaners who don’t pre-screen and drug test their employees and who are not bonded.)
- Are you insured and bonded?
- Can you explain your cleaning process and everything that is included for that price?
- How long does it usually take for the carpet to dry after you leave?
- Do you offer complete customer satisfaction guarantees?
- Can you verify that your cleaning solutions are safe for my family and my pets?
MJM Carpet & Upholstery cleaning
We want you to love the way your carpet looks and feels. Our aim is to consistently bring you high quality services for a fair price. We’re not happy until you’re happy and always guarantee your satisfaction.
We are certified, bonded & insured, drug and criminal screening. We have been in business 40 years in Orange County, CA, all technicians all have over 25 years in the Carpet, Carpet Repairs, Upholstery cleaning business.
Our experienced carpet professionals have extensive cleaning knowledge from years of working with all types of carpet. That means the technician will be able to recommend the best cleaning methods and products for your home while restoring your carpets.
We’re here to answer any questions you may have about our truck mounted steam cleaning process and provide essential advice for all your carpet, tile, grout, and upholstery cleaning needs. Give us a call today 800-611-7871